Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Cookies & The Milkman

I've been intrigued by a cookie recipe that I keep running across, most recently here. I couldn't imagine how this could possibly work without adding flour or butter. My curiosity got the best of me and I had to try it for myself.
When I took the first pan from the oven, my eyes told me that it did work. However, I felt the true test was letting my mouth be the judge :-). But, I do feel that to really be able to tell if the recipe was a success I needed a cold glass of milk to accompany that fresh from the oven cookie. Well, while I was performing my taste test I got to reminiscing. . .


How many of you remember the milkman? When I was growing up the milkman was a common sight. Once a week he would leave milk, cream, cottage cheese or any other dairy product my mom had ordered in our milk chute. Our milkman's name was Jack Woltman. I really couldn't tell you much about him except that occasionally one of my siblings would be teased about really being the milkman's son or daughter. I also remember when our neighbor, Marge, locked herself out of her house. Being a skinny little girl, she asked me if I would crawl through her milk chute and open her door. Not a problem, I slid right through there and had that door open in no time. Boy, what I wouldn't give to be able to do that now :-).






The milkman has pretty much disappeared from the American landscape now, but I think for many of us he conjures up memories of a simpler time. In these days of Swine Flu scares, recessions, etc. I think a freshly baked cookie, a cold glass of milk and sweet memories of days gone by can go a long way in making everything seem right in the world ~ even if it's just for a short while
.





Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar