Dear Maddie,
Sunday was such an important day. While the day really and truly belongs to you, we cannot help but feel as if it belongs a little to us as well. Sometimes I think back on that day so many years ago when you told us we could not do anything to make you care about school. My momma's heart broke open that day. I knew you were absolutely right and I've never felt more helpless. But even then there was no way we were going to give up. Even though we did everything we could to make you care, it was all up to you. After the first semester of your senior year, when your conditional college acceptance came and by the time it arrived you had already broken all of the conditions, we weren't sure you would graduate from high school. But then the switch flipped.
You turned it around. That is all on you sweet girl. You did it the hard way, as you often do, and your mother often did before you. You did your time at community college and I know you hated every moment of your time there but you did it for a year and half before you could transfer. I know there were times it seemed like it was taking forever, working two jobs and often taking classes during the summer too. Maddie, you have worked so hard for the last 5 years and because of that I believe you have a deeper appreciation for your education then you might have otherwise had. You now have a B.A. in Psychology from the Purdue School of Science. Just take a moment and reread that. What an amazing accomplishment!
While I do not believe a person's value is tied to their level of education, I do believe that part, a
big part, of a person's value is tied to what they overcome in life, what they learn from it and the grace with which they handle it.
Maddie, may you go out into the world with the full knowledge that you are capable of greatness, not according to other people's standards or what they think is important, but by your own. Success in life is not measured by what you have but rather how happy you are. Always remember that. Know that you have all the tools- kindness, gumption and intelligence, to be all that you can be. We are so very proud of you.
0 Yorumlar