Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Authors' Awards 2011

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting outside a French wine bar in Shepherds Market with the redoubtable Anna Britten, sipping HUGE glasses of white wine (we asked for spritzers but they decided we needed something more) and waiting to pop along to the Cavalry and Guards' Club on Piccadilly, to celebrate the Society of Authors' awards for 2011. As soon as we arrived, I was whisked off to have my picture taken (such a nice photographer, told me my hair 'was a bit funny at the front' and to 'look a bit happier' before clicking away) and returned to Anna's side, as dazed as she was to see how many amazing stars were in the room with us. Lady Antonia Fraser, Wendy Cope, Shirley Hughes, Simon Brett, Lindsey Davis, Joanna Trollope... But the lovely organisers still took the trouble to make me feel special. The nicest part of the evening was being told: 'We love to celebrate writers!'

So I guess I should say why I was in such esteemed company. My short story, The Mauve Throw, received an Honourable Mention in the Tom-Gallon Trust Award, a short story competition for 'traditional rather than experimental stories'. The winning story was by Emma Timpany. Mine was 'Also admired and enjoyed', as the judges put it. Sadly I didn't get to meet the judges, Jane Gardam and Jacob Ross, on the night. But I thank them for their time and for choosing my story alongside the ones by Emma, Miriam Burke and Gregory Heath. Congratulations, all!

My lovely editor, Stephanie, was also there, for moral support. We got the chance to chat about the edits I'm working on for the novel, which was great. And Anna Britten was the perfect guest, keeping me company on the train journeys and being just as star-struck as I was. Thanks, Anna!



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar