Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Makeup Revolution: Concealer

Yesterday I reviewed the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define Foundation and today it is the turn of the Concealer. I have to admit I was reluctant to buy this, the same as the foundation and all of the products I am talking about this week because I simply do not back the brand. I dislike their blatant copying of other brands. I mean Makeup Revolution are essentially the fast fashion brands of the world ripping off every item Kim Kardiashan has ever worn. I simply do not agree with this, I don't appreciate this blatant copying but for this week I am forgoing my morals and trying some of the products. This concealer is essentially a copy of the Tarte Shape Tape concealer which is a product that caused mass hysteria within the beauty community.


Shape Tape concealer remains a staple in a lot of people's makeup bag whereas I spoke about the fate of the 'Shape Tape' foundation yesterday. Unfortunately in terms of the foundation, Makeup Revolution seem to have defeated Tarte but both concealers seem to be incredibly popular with both brands bringing out super size versions. As I hadn't tried it before, I started out with the normal size which is only £4 but really I wanted to know if it was worth all of the hype so this size was perfect for me.

Before I get into the full review there are a couple of things I would like to point out. Firstly I have not tried the Tarte Shape Tape concealer so this is not a comparison post. Secondly I do not normally like this liquid/cream type concealer. I always use the MAC Studio Finish Concealer which is a little pot concealer. Out of all the liquid/cream concealers I have tried, I've never really liked any. Going into using this product I automatically assumed I was going to hate it for this very reason.

The Formula 

Seeing as I've already mentioned that this is a liquid/cream concealer, I'll start off by talking about the formula. This is definitely a thick cream formula, it is not going to move/run anywhere. It is actually thicker than a lot of the foundations I use. This thickness means the product has a high pigmentation and covers literally everything that you want covered. I am used to using a pot concealer which is slightly harder to apply and blend but it is thick so it literally conceals everything. I do find that this Makeup Revolution concealer is much easier to blend out and still retains it coverage. That has always been my problem with liquid/cream concealers, all of the ones I've tried always end up blending out to nothing, to the point where you question why you have even bothered using the product. You do not get that with this product. 

Not only does the formula mean that this concealer has an amazing coverage but it also does not crease even though it could potentially end up being quite dry. It has so much colour/pigment that I had visions of this creasing in my under eye area, my frown lines and on my chin but so far I haven't had this problem which can happen if I apply too much of the MAC concealer and don't blend it out enough. I actually really like how my foundation sits on top of this concealer. It means that all of the colour from my spots is covered and any darkness under my eyes is brightened. Under my eyes I do also use the YSL Touche Eclat just to give an extra boost of radiance and both concealers seem to work together beautifully. It is also long wearing which you want from a concealer. 

If you couldn't tell, I do use the Makeup Revolution concealer on both my under eyes and on any blemishes. Personally I do not want to use a thousand different concealers for different areas of my face, I need one that has everything covered, literally, and I've got to say the Makeup Revolution concealer works wonderfully in both areas.

Application

It may seem odd to have a whole section dedicated to application but that's right, I'm doing it. Obviously this is not a complex product, practically everyone will know how to apply this but I'm going to break it down anyway! To apply this concealer I do use the doe foot applicator to apply this to the areas where I need the concealer such as any blemishes, redness and my under eyes. I do have a problem with the doe foot but I will get into that when I talk about the packaging. 

I apply this concealer, not too much of it, honestly a little goes a long way and use a brush to blend it out. The Real Techniques 300 Deluxe Crease Brush may claim to be an eye brush but this is the most amazing concealer brush. This brush really buffs the concealer in without absorbing too much product. It also keeps the coverage where you want it. I have used my finger as part of the final blend but I wouldn't want it to be my sole blender. 

I always apply my concealer prior to my foundation but I do not use my concealer for anything other than concealing. Some people use different tones for creating shape so they will use a lighter one under their eyes and one as a contour but I literally cannot be arsed with that and I feel it is too Instagram of a look for me. I have no doubt that if you used quite a lot of this concealer, like some people do, it would have the potential to look cakey very quickly. If you do want to do this Instagram technique then Makeup Revolution do have the shade range for most people to be able to do this.

Shade Range

That takes me nicely into the next section, shade range. For me, as an averagely fair, white girl there is a massive shade range. I chose the shade C6, there are 5 shades before the one I chose so I'm not even close to the palest shade. This is nice because C6 literally matches my skin perfectly but that means if I did want to use a lighter shade to highlight, I could. I have never really had this option before. Normally with drugstore concealers I am literally the lightest shade so I haven't had the option of doing that Instagram makeup, now with Makeup Revolution, I can. I don't want to, but I could. 

On the other hand if you have darker skin I think you would potentially struggle a little bit. When you look at the shade options online there seems to be a whole lot of options for paler people but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of variety for people of colour. When you consider the amount of shades and different undertones within the Fenty Beauty range, you simply do not see that in the Makeup Revolution shade range. It is definitely worth checking if they do your shade because they do have quite a lot of different shades. I really have no authority to talk about this any further as I am pale and my shades are covered but I thought it was worth a mention because a large shade range is something every brand should be looking to improve since the domination of Fenty Beauty. 

Going back to me, my favourite topic, I picked out shade C6. I did swatch quite a few different shades on the back of my hand. Before picking out a shade I walked around the store do see if the shades would change and oxidise. At first I thought I was going to go for one of the lighter shades but as they oxidised it seemed to bring out the pink/yellow tones within the other shades whereas C6 was a little bit more peachy and seemed to be the best match for my skin. Luckily I do apply my concealer under my foundation so it doesn't matter if this oxidises. When I initially apply this concealer it is a tiny bit too light but the oxidising makes it my perfect colour. It is just something to be aware of prior to looking for a shade in this concealer.

Packaging

Packaging has been a massive problem for me during Drugstore Month, a lot of the packaging looks incredibly cheap but I will give credit to Makeup Revolution as I actually really like this packaging and I think it looks more luxury than the £4 price tag of the concealer. The plastic packaging does feel quite light and slightly cheap but I adore the rose gold lid and label. I still maintain that looking at this you would think it was more expensive than £4 but that could be because it is an imitation of the tube of the Tape Shape but I do have to say, this is one of the few dupes where the packaging is not an exact copy so at least there was a bit of innovation when it came to the packaging. I potentially prefer the look of this packaging compared to Shape Tape. 

Makeup Revolution may have changed up the outer packaging a little bit but they have taken the large doe foot applicator that Tape Shape really became iconic for. In general I do not like doe foot applicators, they are unhygienic. I do not like them for that reason however I have been using this one just to be able to talk about it. The foundation has the same applicator and yesterday I said that the doe foot was hard and I have the same issue with the concealer but it isn't as bad.

Whereas the hardness of the doe foot of the foundation makes it really hard to apply, it is slightly easier with the concealer. There is only one place that I really struggle to apply concealer and that is around my nose as the doe foot will not bend to apply the concealer where I need it around my nostrils. There is a dip in this doe foot that picks up more of the product but I do not want all of that product around my nose as I do not need that amount of coverage, I just want to hide a little bit of redness. Much like with the foundation, I was not sold on the doe foot application and from now on, now that I am not testing the product, I will probably just apply the product to the back of my hand and apply it from there.

My Final Thoughts 

I may not have been overly fussed by the foundation yesterday but I seriously love this concealer. I can honestly see why there has been so much hype around this product. In a way I am disappointed with myself as I did not want to like any of the Makeup Revolution products but honestly this concealer is too good to dislike. 

As I said I am not a massive fan of a liquid/cream concealer and much prefer a pot concealer but this gives me the coverage I look for within a pot concealer but in a not quite as drying formula. I do have a couple of problems with this product: I really do not like the doe foot applicator, that could go! There is not a lot of product in this tube. I have been using my tube for around a month and I have clearly used quite a lot so I know this definitely will not last as long as my usual pot concealer. If you do use this concealer to create a brightening look under your eyes by applying product in a big triangle under your eyes, you are going to get through a tube of this concealer VERY quickly. I can now see why they released the super sized version. 

I was so surprised by this concealer and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a concealer with a good coverage, which is easily blendable and that sits nicely under your foundation. Going back to the Kimmy K analogy, sometimes fast fashion can outshine the original item and that is exactly what has happened with this concealer. I never wanted to try Shape Tape because I assumed I would not like it but after using this Makeup Revolution version, I now think I might actually get on with it. At £4 this is such a good concealer and if you are working on a tight budget, you need to be using this concealer.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar